Sugar Cookie Recipe -- Life's Metaphor

For years and years I used a great sugar cookie recipe. It made perfect sugar cookies every time. It had cream of tartar and milk in it. It was delicious. Sometime in the last four years, I lost the recipe.

I've searched high and low. I've taken everything out of my cabinets. Flipped through all my cookbooks. Cleaned out the pantry. It's gone.

I was so sad to lose it. I'm almost positive I got the recipe from my mom, so for years I bugged her to find a copy for me. I looked through all her recipe boxes every time I visited. She would swear she didn't know which recipe I meant, but she tried to help me find it anyway.

One day she sent me a recipe for Rich Roll Cookies out of the Joy of Cooking. I protested. It wasn't the right one.

"But its a good one," she said. "Just try it."

"But mine has cream of tartar in it."

"You could probably add cream of tartar to this one if you really wanted to, " she quipped.

I'm sure I followed with some dramatic eye rolling. Ah, the eye-rolling, one of my finest nonverbal communication tools. :)

So I tried it and it was good. It's more a shortbread than a sugar cookie, but it's quite tasty.

Tasty, but not the same. Note the one I loved. The last few years I use Rich Roll Cookies, but every time I make it I lament for my old recipe. (Sometimes I even still look for it.)

I do that about a lot of things actually. I hang onto things a little and lately, I've been wondering why. Why I hold on to something and try to make it happen, when it doesn't seem like it is meant to?

My life isn't exactly what I planned. It is pretty darn close, but a few things I envisioned didn't quite come to fruition. I have a lovely, blessed, happy life, but every so often I still let myself have a sugar cookie moment. "Yeah, its great, but it's not the old recipe."

I've decided that's just stupid. I want to be done with that. I want to enjoy every sugar cookie without worrying about the old recipe any more. I might be missing some of the gorgeous buttery moments wishing for cream of tartar.

This week, I managed to polish off a batch of Rich Roll cookies and I didn't look for the old recipe. I didn't even think about. Time to let it go.

Letting go of other things might not be quite as easy as letting go of some dumb, old recipe, but I need to. I'm ready.

Comments

Popular Posts