Are we there yet?

Classic vacation words. I know what you are thinking. The vacation blogs are booorrrrringggg. Are you seriously going to blog everyday while you are on vacation?

Sorry troops, that's the plan.

Here's the thing. I have a terrible memory. Terrible.

This is our 5th Christensen family vacation. We've down Sun Valley, Sun Valley, Lake Tahoe, Nags Head, Nags Head. The only year we missed was the summer Grace was born. The Simpsons and Grandma and Grandpa went to Yellowstone. I hear they had fun. I refused to go on the trip. Grace was 7 weeks old and I was a post partum wimp. I'd go now, but then...wimpy.

Anyway.

We were sitting around reminiscing last night and everyone was talking about our old vacations. People were saying things like "remember in the Tahoe house, when..." Nope.

"Remember the time we were driving up that canyon in Sun Valley to go horseback riding and the cliff was right on the side of the car and we thought we were going to die?" Nope.

"Ok, remember last time we were in Nags Head and there was a boom that shook the house so hard we thought it was an explosion? We were so worried we called the police and asked if they knew what was wrong." And again I say--nope. (They did give me a pass on that one. Apparently, that was the night that Chad and I went out to dinner, so we were not home during the terrifying sonic boom.)

So because I can't remember, I must write things down. These are sweet and precious times. No work. No church callings. No stress and let's be honest, when am I not stressed? Uninterrupted time with the girls. Beautiful sunsets, early mornings. I mean right now I'm writing in a huge room, overlooking the ocean. A warm orange moon is shining down and I'm listening as the breakers hit the beach bringing in high tide.

My kids are asleep. My baby nephew is upstairs crying himself to sleep. Everyone else is down watching a basketball game and rooting against the team most likely to win. My 5 year old nephew just snuck out of bed and polished off a 9 PM snack of a chocolate muffin and gatorade (which he swears up and down his mother said he could have and though I have my doubts, I gave it to him anyway). These are great moments and I want to remember.

Will the blogs be funny? I don't know. Depends on whether or not funny things happen.

Will there be pictures? Not until I get home. I forgot my camera cord.

Will every single post end with me going to bed exhausted? Probably. That's how most days end.

Will any of this drivel be worth remembering? No question about it.

So hang on friends, cause we aren't there yet.

Comments

scotty said…
any outerbanks surfers rippin it up?! make some friends with em for me! maybe they will hook you up with a redbull...

Popular Posts