A Walking Field Trip

(Author's Note: Sometimes I start posts, but I don't post them. I didn't want to rewrite this post to fix the today's, etc, so I just left it. Walking trip was last Thursday (6/18/09), but just pretend like it was today.)

Today was Grace's walking field trip up to Smith's grocery store. I was able to chaperon and lucky enough to get to bring Brynn along too. When you are 4 going on the 2nd grade field trip is the pinnacle of cool. I was proud of how well Grace watched out for Brynn. Made sure she was standing somewhere where she could see, held her hand, helped her with her hair net. Does a mom's heart good to see her babies helping each other.

Surprisingly, the walk to Smith's in not a bad walk. It was a lovely day - not to hot, we got sprinkled on for a minute, but nothing serious. Though you would have thought some kids were descendants of the Wicked Witch of the West, given their overwhelming fear of getting wet. Me? I'd rather be wet than hot, so I was fine.


After a nice long walk, we entered the grocery store and it smelled like fresh baked cookies. To 22 hungry 2nd graders (and their assorted younger siblings) this was torture. They had fun touring the "secret parts" of the grocery store as Brynn called them. Getting to go inside the giant ice cream freezer was the best part, hands down.

After the tour, we ate our cookies and walked back to the park near our house. We ate sack lunches and played. To my great delight, Grace has become an awesome jump roper in 2nd grade. Can't tell you the hours we spent in first grade trying to help her learn to skip rope. Long story short, never worked, frustrating for all involved. Today, I learned the secret to teaching a first grader to skip rope. Send them to second grade and they'll figure it out themselves. :)

I borrowed a jump rope and Grace and I skipped together. Trouble is, I had flip flops on, so to skip rope without breaking my ankle I had to kick my flip flops off. Skipping rope on the hard concrete with no shoes on didn't do any favors on the bottoms of my feet. It didn't hurt at the time, but now, um...ouch. Doesn't matter though, I gained cool mom points with Grace. I'll take those over sore mootsies any time.

Comments

Popular Posts