Travel Blog - Day 2: Williamsburg

Day 2 was a long, fun day in Colonial Williamsburg. Williamsburg is a living history type place. Workers are dressed in period costumes and performing jobs typically of colonial times. We watched a shoemaker, a weaver, a farmer, a cook, etc. You learn about how they lived by watching them work and talking to them. It's fun.

We went all out and took the girls on a carriage ride around the town. They loved it. They said it was their favorite part. On the tour I learned that 88 of the houses in Williamsburg are original, but none of the trees were there during colonial times. The oldest tree is only 109 years old. I don't know why I find that so fascinating, but I do.

Dad drove down from DC to meet us after his meetings. He's been working on his genealogy a bit and had a couple of names, which he knew must be buried in the local area. Turns out that they are actually buried right there in historic Williamsburg under the church, Burton Parish.

That night after a nice dinner at Outback and a little scoop of Haagen Dazs, we put the girls to be and dad and I looked at all the genealogy he has been working on.

It was a good day. Fun to wander through the streets and get a sense of how people lived. It was a lot of walking though and by the time I crawled into bed Thursday night, I was beat. I definitely earned my Haagen Dazs.

Comments

Popular Posts