Travel Blog - Day 4: A Cloudy Day in Corolla

Saturday was a dreary day. The occasional rain drop and the cloudy skies dampened our plans to spend the day lounging on the beach (just reread that and no pun intended, but ha! I'm not one to rewrite a good pun.) Dads (Chad, John, Aaron and B) braved the pool and the beach with the children and swore it wasn't that bad. But there swearing wasn't enough to get me into a bathing suit. Windy...brrrrr.

I spent the day grocery shopping, blogging, playing with the babies, fixing lunch, cleaning the kitchen, sitting aimlessly on the couch staring out at the ocean, taking the girl's suits off and putting them back on, etc.

Yesterday afternoon we went for a nice long walk up the beach. We discovered that the little holes in the sand are dug by crabs looking for protection from the open beach. At first we couldn't find any crabs, but once we found one and knew what to look for, well then we found tons. One little guy sprung up out of his hole and took off toward the water. Man, those critters are fast! Scared the pants off of the children. But then the started enjoying looking for them, waving the shovel gently near them so they would run. We just kept everyone back, so none of the crabs would get stepped on.

As we walked along the girls looked for shells to put in their buckets. Halfway through Brynn says "Help me mom, mine's too heavy to carry." Uh, yeah. That's because Brynn was putting a giant scoop of sand into her bucket with every shell. I helped her dump out her bucket and rinse off her shells in the waves. The bucket got much lighter and we made it back to the house.

After dinner, the girls took one last swim and then cuddled in my lap for some stories. I tucked my two exhausted children into bed and noticed I had two giant wet spots on the sleeves of my sweatshirt from where they had been laying their heads.

We sat up last night while Jenny, Chad, John and B told stories about growing up. I laughed until I cried. We tried to get a glimpse of the very drunk neighbors who were throwing water balloons at the windows of our house at midnight, but couldn't ever see where they were coming from. Chad wanted to go outside and look for them, but I wouldn't let him.

Finally, we gave up and went to bed, figuring I guess if we went to bed, they would too. It must have worked, once I closed my eyes I didn't hear another water balloon hit all night. Of course, I might have disturbed them with my sawing logs. (rim shot)

Comments

Popular Posts