Travel Blog - Day 1: Flight

Ah, vacation. I love it. I could live on vacation, but then I guess it wouldn't really be vacation anymore. Catch 22.

Day 1 was the boring travel day. We flew from Salt Lake to Detroit on a completely booked flight. We spent about an hour and a half in the Detroit airport. We hadn't flown through Detroit for about 8 years and the new airport is really nice. We rode the indoor "el" (elevated train) to our gate and had lunch in a little food court there.

Over taco bell, we talked about the next flight. Everyone seemed very confused about why we had flown to Michigan, why we were flying into VA when we are actually going on vacation to NC. Grace was sitting quietly, drawing, and all of the sudden raises her head and says "so how long are we going to be in Mexican?"

Chad: What??
Grace: We're in Mexican, right? How long are we going to be here?
Chad: We're in Michigan, not Mexican.

Funny.

As we got ready to board the next flight, Brynn starting showing signs of an impending epic meltdown. I tried holding her, rocking her, bouncing her. Nothing worked, she just kept up this low whine that always tells me she's about to blow her smoke stack. Finally, I put her down and started having her do little excercises. "Brynn can you touch your nose like this? Brynn can you do five pushups? Brynn, show me your yoga moves, Brynnm run around in the big circle five times." Much to my surprise it worked. She was laughing and playing and getting her wiggles out. We ran until they made the final boarding call and then she and I snuck on the plane.

We made it to Norfolk, go the car with no problems this time (last time they made me pay for the car, even though I had already pre-paid for the car. It was a very expensive nightmare and the worst rental car we've ever had.) We drove to Williamsburg and a totally exhausted Brynn passed out in the car, before we were even out of the rental car garage.

This is the first trip we didn't print out internet directions before we left. We got a GPS for Christmas and decided to try it out for this trip. It's a pretty slick little thing, because we managed to drive right to the hotel, where my mom was waiting.

We sat up for a while and finally after the girls had gone to sleep, we crashed.

Comments

Popular Posts